A reported fire emergency at the new Accident and Emergency, A&E Unit of the Osun State University Teaching Hospital caused panic among patients and staff on Thursday morning.
A source who sought anonymity stated that patients were seen running out of the unit during the fire.
In his words, “I can confirm to you that there is a fire emergency at the new Accident and Emergency unit of UNIOSUNTH this morning.
“I could see patients scampering for safety and running out of the A&E Unit to avoid the fire.
“We don’t know how the fire started but suddenly, we saw patients running for safety with blood and bandages on their body.”
Reacting, the Chief Medical Director, CMD of the hospital, Prof Peter Olaitan debunked the reports of a fire outbreak.
Prof. Olaitan in a reply to a message by DAILY POST revealed that it was a circuit breaker that exploded.
He also added that the patients are well and the UTH engineers are already working to fix the problem.
“It is not true. There was a circuit breaker that exploded and that was all.
“The patients are ok and in the ward. Our engineers are already working to fix it immediately.”